Being that we are going with a V8 in the Ares E30, we had to go boosterless. Although there are Hydro setups out there as well retrofitted e32/e34 booster relocation kit out there for the e30. They all have serious faults. For Example, the hydro-setup is incredibly cluttered in an already packed engine bay. The e32/e34 us cluttered as well and means more fabwork to brace the wheel well that it gets bolted to. We had it on our M60 V8 E30 Lela and it left alot to be desired from the brakes.
Our boosterless setup is very well thought out. When most people think boosterless, they think, turn the car off and roll down a hill and try to stop the car kinda feeling. Its not like that at all! To make up from not being vacuum assisted, the bore sized on our wilwood boosterless setup is much smaller. 5/8 for the front brakes, 5/8 for the rear and 3/4 for the clutch. Not only are the bore sizes smaller which make the effort to stop the car less, but the pedal ratio is now 6.25:1. This further assist you in braking effort.
We made a few tweeks to our production version for the Ares project to make it easier to work with with. We welded the nuts onto the bracket and the top 3 bolts to make it a one man job to remove them.
We also wanted a way to mount a neat tilton reservoir, so we modified our production version upper plate to include a 90 degree bend to hold the tilton setup/fluid.
This then brought on the creation of our Boosterless plumbing kit. We needed a way to block the stock boosterless hole setup and a way to route the new lines cleanly through.
We will also be installing a Tilton Remote Brake Bias Adjuster Knob to be able to fine tune everything.
In the future we will be installing a wilwood big brake setup. For now, we had e36 m3 laying around, so we used that for the front setup and z3 stuff out back. Something we will need to revisit soon.
The car was meant to be low. Very low. Very very low. And ride height was static via ground control coil-overs. That made the front valence very low. And we wanted to keep that way because we had some aero mods in store including a fully functional diffuser system. So what do we do? Loading it onto trailers would be an unthinkable task. We made the front end removable.
We did this buy buying an OEM late model front valence and cutting it up. Yup. A brand new valence. We did this because it had to be perfectly straight. We practiced with a questionable unit and we knew what we had to do to make it removable. We had to make the OEM piece into 2 pieces. An upper half and a lower half. We would then make sure the upper piece stayed on the car as the original engineers had intended. But the lower half would come off with the bumper.
We used the 2 stock bolt locations to run pins to be able to pull on to remove the bumper setup and the lower half of the valence in a couple seconds.
That pair with the e30 removable core support, we would be able to service the car in a hurry if we needed to.
For the Ares, we used a universal Loctar Cable and cable mount. The mount then mounts to the Intake manifold. On the pedal side, we used stock e30 pedal and pedal lever. The lever hit the boosterless brake setup so we had to shorten it. We then added a few holes to be able to accommodate different motors we make test in the future to bring to the market. Remember, the theme with this car is modular.
So after that the loktar cable fits through the stock E30 throttle firewall hole. The firewall hole isnt really a hole though. Its a square. No big deal! We welded a washer to make it round. This made the cable fit perfectly.
Pictures coming soon!
Anyone who races cars knows that weight is evil. More or less anyway. However, weight at the top of the car is the worst kind of weight. Especially the sunroof. You want the center of gravity to be as low as possible. So we did away with the E30 sunroof.
Its not exactly a small en devour. After removing the sunroof itself, all motors, cables etc, we then had to remove the inner cassette that the sunroof fits into when opened. You can drill the spot welds out and it will eventually pop out. This modification saves you about 50lbs off the roof! This changes the handling dynamic of the e30 dramatically. At first we welded the roof shut with our delete panel. We then decided, lets save even more weight, cut the whole roof off and use a carbon fiber unit instead. So we did.
The new carbon fiber roof weights in at 3lbs. The metal we cut out was another 18lbs. So a total weight savings of 68 lbs off the roof was removed. Not bad!
To make it look right, the guys at Kings auto body then riveted on the roof and blended it in to make it look as OEM as possible.
Being that this was one of those “while we were at it” mods that we did not account for, we realized that our half cage wasn’t really a safe idea anymore. So eventually a full cage is needed.
Sticking with the modular theme, we wanted the steering system to be no different. Obviously we were going to go with a quicker steering setup over the school bus setup of the e30. That ended up being a Z3 rack. Paired with our steering rack conversion kit it bolted right up. For the outer tie rods we made adjustable versions that were a little lighter, beefier, offered more adjustment and allowed bump steer adjustment. These are made to order. Common use is for guys who use e46 lower control arms.
For the steering column we went with our competition steering shaft. Its made from 2 e46 steering shafts. It is more compact which allows the LS1 headers to wrap around (and its still a tight fit). It also make the shaft much tighter feeling because it eliminates the stock rubber rag unit that disconnect the feeling of the road from the steering wheels.
We then added AN conversion fittings so we can retain power steering and run lines to the LS1 power steering pump. More details to come!